My Family

My Family
Summer 2015

Thursday, September 25, 2014

That We May... surrender (6 of 7)

(Post #6 of 7)
post #5 is here
post #4
post #3
post #2
post #1

We can never enter into big decisions without wise counsel and there have been many who have given us counsel and wisdom in this journey. God has not been silent in offering His own counsel.  God has been working over many months and dare I say years in this journey. The story would not be complete without realizing that behind the scenes and sometimes even right in front of our eyes, God was revealing things to us and touching our hearts as we saw in post #5.

In August 2013 a dear friend asked me a challenging question:
“If I found another family tomorrow to adopt these kids...would you feel “relief” that the burden is gone or “regret” that you didn’t adopt them?"

That's a convicting question we wrestled with.  I found my "mama bear" showing up.  Could I really release them to someone else?  Was I in this simply to find them a family?  I suppose if I had to, but really?  Is that what God is leading us toward?

Another mama with a spina bifida kiddo said this to me after a long back and forth conversation about life with sb:
So....just do your homework and prepare for the worst possible scenario.  If you think you can handle that....go get her(them)! “
In February 2014 I wrote down more of Lucas's thoughts and Prayers.
He prayed:
"God told me something:" (laying in bed speaking sweetly)
"If you have a chance, you should adopt them."

"...to [bring her] and [him] into our family 
... to adopt [them]
and the time has come.
...
he is putting my friends in the right hands.

...She’s always been my sister.  
[he's] about to be my brother.

I don’t want you to leave [them] behind because God really told me I could have [them] in my own hands"

God also spoke through Praise and Worship:

February 2014 at PCC
Everlasting God:
(Lincoln Brewster/Chris Tomlin)

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord 
Wait upon the Lord
We will Wait upon the Lord 2x

Our God
You reign forever
Our hope
Our strong deliverer

You are the Everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint
You won’t grow weary
You’re the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles

Strength Will rise
as we wait upon the lord

wait upon the lord

Our strength will Rise as we Wait Upon the Lord.  He alone will give the strength.  We don't have to try to ramp up our own energy and strength.  He promises to give it to us when he calls us upon us to do something outside the borders we have set up for ourselves.  

Moving forward...


In March of 2014 God spoke to Peter through reading a book 
No Longer a Slumdog by K.P. Yohannan
 p.68

“In Matthew 18:10 (NASB), Jesus said, ‘See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven.’
According to the dictionary, the meaning of the word despise is ‘to regard as unworthy of one’s interest or concern.’
Jesus is warning us that when we hear about needy children, we need to be careful not to see their plight as unworthy of our attention.  We can’t simply say, ‘Yes, I know it’s awful.  Those terrible people hurting children should be stopped, and the little ones should be loved and cared for. But there’s nothing I can do about it.’
Do you think Jesus cares about children who live on the streets? Do you believe he sees the boys and girls laboring long hours in the fields and firecracker factories?  does he identify with the pain of devastated young girls caught in the degrading life of prostitution?
He sees. He cares. He feels their pain.

Now He has given us the opportunity to see them too.  The question He is asking is, How will we respond?  Will we look away and steel our hearts against their pain?”

On yet another day, I was listening to Francis Chan--
Living a Life of Urgency
James 4:16
“...anyone that knows the good that he is suppose to do and doesn’t do is sinning...”
sin of omission (not just something that is “optional”).  "If you know you are suppose to do something based on God’s calling for you and the Word of God and you don’t do it, you are sinning."  FC  

"You are crazy...if this earth is all there is.  But, if the resurrection is real, then you are not crazy.  Surrender yourself to God.  (paraphrasing from Francis Chan)  That’s the kind of life God’s calling us to lead.  
Jesus Christ left heaven. 
That’s crazy.  
He basically said, “I’m going to empty myself of everything.  I’m doing this for the people that are nailing me to the cross.”
Be eternally minded
Wherever, whatever.
surrender to God
He is Trustworthy"

Peter and I both knew we didn't want to "sin" by "not doing something" God had called us to do.  We needed constant reminders of the call to "That We May".  The privilege we have to serve a God who gave Everything for Us.  
How could we continue to hang our heads low and be weighed down by the "impossible"?  Have we not seen God work before?  Have we not walked the hard journeys of life before?  Have we not seen His faithfulness?

This song continually showed up in worship at church, on the radio, on my iTunes...(I guess I did put it there).  So so powerful.
It is a challenge to sing/hear/worship with this song and to do what God calls us to do in it.  It cannot, and should not be sung without full surrender to God.  

Oceans
Hillsong United



you called my out upon the waters
the great unknown where feet may fail
and there i find you in the mystery
in oceans deep
my faith will stand

I will call upon your name
keep my eyes above the waves
my soul will rest in your embrace

I am yours and you are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand will be my guide
where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed 
and you won't start now

so I will call upon your name
and keep my eyes above the waves
when oceans rise
my soul will rest in your embrace
for I am yours and you are mine

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
let me walk upon the waters
wherever you would call me
take me deeper than my
feet could ever wander
and my faith would be made stronger
in the presence of my savior

I will call upon your name
keep my eyes above the waves
my soul will rest in your embrace
I am yours and you are mine

God was reminding me once again that He may be calling us out onto the water.  But, once again HE would be faithful.  We needed to be buried in His Ocean of Grace and Trust.  We should remain focused on HIM not on Our abilities, our limitations, our fears.  He wanted us to look to HIM and seek HIM and LISTEN to what He was saying through all of these pieces of Counsel.

Sunday April 6, 2014
Peter added this to my journal:
“So we started worship this morning with the song "White Flag".  It brought me to tears.  How can I sing that song about surrendering everything to God and continue to struggle against Him when He is telling me that we are to adopt those children?  Do I surrender, or don't I?  Are these just words, or do they mean something?”

More wise counsel continues as God moves us to believe and obey...






No comments:

Post a Comment