My Family

My Family
Summer 2015

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

That We May...search God's Word-"But God" (5 of 7)-

This is post #5 of 7
Post #4 is here
Post #3 is here
Post #2 is here
Post #1 is here

Lucas's prayers continued, of course, and here is just one brief example of things he prayed from August 2013:
He prayed that they would have "FREEDOM and that they are the Chosen Generation."  He thanked God for this “gift”.  

Since God was astonishing us, and prompting us in very direct ways, I needed to know more directly what he was asking of us.  I needed to search His Word and hear from Him.
One day, He prompted me to search His Word for the simple phrase 
"But God"...
why? I had no idea.  
He just seemed to say..."go look at what my Word has to say when it's all about ME and what I am doing..."
I just felt led to plug it into a search engine on my Bible app...

Let this blow your mind...
John 11:52 "...and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one."
1 Cor. 1:27 "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong."
1 Cor. 2:5 "so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power."
2 Cor. 3:5 "Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God."
Gal 4:7 "So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir."
Phil 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

These are the things that soften my stubborn heart.
These are the things that open my eyes to more of who He is.
These are the things that humble me.
These are the things that rattle me and shake me to the core.
These are the things that bring tears to my eyes.
These are the things that remind me Who is Really in Control.
Thank God He is in Control.
"But God"....did it, is doing it, and will continue to do it.
Over the next days and weeks, more things appeared:

 (a friend shared this quote on Facebook one day)
Lysa TerKeurst (Proverbs 31 Ministries)
Being uncertain and scared and riddled with doubt some days isn't a sign of bad things to come. It's actually quite the opposite. After all, if great things weren't on the horizon, I don't think the enemy would be so bent on attacking us.

The enemy.  Yep, he was on the prowl.  The closer we got to deciding things the more he messed with my mind.  So I buried myself in more of God's Word...

The story of Joshua came forward in an email devotional:
Joshua 3:1-17
If you don't know the story, read it. It speaks about Joshua leading the Isralites right up to the edge of what looked to be an impossible river to cross while leading thousands of people.  How would they cross? How could they cross? It was not possible with the equipment they had with them and all the people.
But here is the convicting thought from that day:
But God...
He did it.  
He told Joshua exactly what to do and the flow of the river stopped and they walked across on dry land. Read the full account.  God tells it better than I.

The flow of the water in the Jordan River did not stop until the priests took the first step.  They stood at the banks of the river with something seemingly impossible before them, not knowing how they would cross that river.  It took faith.  It took taking the step first before that river stopped flowing and then what happened?  
It was not just a muddy river bottom.  
It was DRY LAND!  
They crossed with confidence.
And then on the other side they set up 12 stones of rememberance.  

Sometimes all the details of the plan are not laid out before us "first".  This is where the term "step out in faith" comes from right? This story became very significant in the final decision to move forward.  
And we needed to remember God's faithfulness to us in the past.
If you know us at all, that is HUGE!  

Loss of child #1
Loss of child #2
Loss of child #3
Financial crisis
Loss of parents
Move across the country away from family
Walking through crisis with friends
Surgeries/illnesses
Teen issues
and more

But God has Always been faithful.  
Even when we have doubted or been afraid.  
HE has been faithful.
How could we doubt that now? 
Were we questioning that faithfulness?


Several days later, God continued to weave more words of wisdom into this thing:

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

This was significant in the days when I feared the unknown.  Have you ever woken up in a cold sweat from worry?  
Pray that verse.  
over and over and over again.  
The enemy has no power over THAT!

I heard sermon after sermon that spoke to our situation as well, but when we were gone one Sunday, I listened to a Sermon online given at our church from July 28, 2013 (Jeff Henderson - pastor from Gwinnett Church)

A few things popped out from that one:

You rob God of His glory when you move forward in pride and arrogance”
“You rob God of His glory when you don’t move forward in confidence.”
(that one kicked me in the gut)

Searching, seeking, listening we began to see the unfolding of something much bigger than ourselves.  That's really what this story has been about from the start. 

It's just too much to comprehend,
But God was draw us to adoption again, 
The child we adopted was having such a tender and passionate heart and stretching us to expand our boarders even further.  
But God was flipping our hearts upside down teaching us about the Privilege of generosity and living out our service to Him with joy.

Have you ever had a season in your life where you were searching for answers and realized, God is speaking all around you?  That's what this became.  

He was writing a story far beyond our ability to create.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment