My Family

My Family
Summer 2015

Monday, November 12, 2012

Conversation Peace

I just finished leading a study called Conversation Peace.  It's an older study I did several years ago too.  It is so loaded with scriptural references about our tongue and our speech that it's almost overwhelming.

I would say the heart of the study would probably be this verse:

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.  Luke 6:45

I don't think we realize how important or significant our words are.  But, God is pretty clear that He values them. As much as we may want to deny it, our words are a mirror into our souls.  If your heart is full of "yuck" you may be able to attempt to be kind, but at some point in the journey you aren't going to be able to hold it all together.  And what is truly in your heart will come out.  The opposite is also true, if our hearts are full of:

whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.  Phil 4:8-9

Now, the reality of this? We cannot anticipate being able to do it alone.  It is a blessed thing that He gives us so many resources in His Word to lean on.  I love the reference that was made to Moses who had obvious speech issues.  When he doubted God could use him.  
p. 134
"God made Moses' mouth-and God owned it.  Therefore, Moses could trust God to fill it with the right words."
and 
Luke 12:12
"The Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say"
Our only "job" is to stay in tune with Him.  Fill ourselves to overflowing with more of Him so when the challenges come--we are able to respond well.

This is one jam packed study.  There is no simple way to put it in one small blog post.  Even without the tapes, I think a lot could be gleaned from it.  The tapes are good, but the loads of scripture on the topic are all in the actual study.  Oh and if you want a list of verses about the power of your "tongue" read the book of Proverbs (she referenced probably over 50 verses from Proverbs).  This is the one that hit me the most:

Proverbs 26:18-19
Like a maniac shooting
    flaming arrows of death
19 is one who deceives their neighbor
    and says, “I was only joking!”


UGH!

and finally,
p.136
"All that remains, then, is for you to go and speak.  He will help you.  He will teach you.  His Holy Spirit-whose mighty power raised Christ from the dead-is with you.  He has promised, "My Spirit, who is on you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will not depart from your mouth" (Is. 59:21)

Amen!

I do find it interesting when I'm doing I study like this how much the topic at hand gets tested with me.  I have been struggling over the past few months with my words and speech and then just shaking my head and thinking "where did that even come from?"  Then I have to face the reality that my heart really is not connected with Christ in that moment.  I am so thankful that God gives us chances for "do overs".  But, sometimes the words have already done their damage.  I need to recommit to reconnecting with God yet again!  
Today I go forth with this on my tongue: (memorized cuz I am a slow learner and need lots of repetition!!)

"May the Words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight oh Lord my Rock and my Redeemer"  Psm 19:14


No comments:

Post a Comment