My Family

My Family
Summer 2015

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Doughnuts--God's Provision

ok, maybe that's stretching it a bit...
but, I couldn't resist.

Today, I promised my boys I'd make homemade doughnuts.  Seriously, of all the things I have made, I have never done doughnuts.  But, my mom gave me her old recipe for "Raised Do-Nuts" that she used to make for my big brother Scott every Saturday morning when he would have guys over to play Poker.  (i know i know--but hey, at least he wasn't drinkin liquour...on Saturday morning).

So, in a sweet way this is sort of a family tradition.  So much for a healthy breakfast. But, I do know Lucas LOVES them from our trips to Krispy Kreme.  Now I don't claim in any way to be KK.  But, these things are pretty stinkin' good if I may say so myself.

mom's handwritten recipe


this is the "original" donut cutter from all those years ago (Scott if you are reading this, it can be "bought" for the right price)  =) maybe!

dat's a whole lot of donut....

yep, fried in oil


and consumed at a rapid unkown pace by the young man.  I have no clue how many he actually ate.  He just parked himself in front of the plate and chowed down.  Eventually he said, "dats' enuf"



Peter even jumped off the diet plan for this one.  Only one or two, so he still was pretty amazing.

Now, it's time for me to stop putting off getting on the treadmill....argh! 2p.m.

here's the recipe as I added a few notes to it after doing it and having a few "minor" issues:
Mom’s Raised Do-nuts
 (not sure why she put that hyphen in there)

1 c. hot mashed potatoes (used 1 c. water, boiled added 2/3 c. instant potatoes 1/2 tbs butter--no milk (try?)
1 oz. compressed yeast (I used fresh yeast)
1 1/2 c. warm water
2/3 c. shortening  
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
6 1/2 c. sifted flour (I didn’t sift, but would like to try sifted)  I added A LOT more flour than this.
Dissolve yeast in water, let stand 10 minutes.
Cream shortening and sugar in mixer.
Add HOT potatoes.
cool
Add yeast/water to potatoes.
mix in mixer
add Salt, eggs, flour
Mix--(I added a lot more flour to this because it was really sticky at this point)
Try using Bosch to knead the dough and get it so it doesn’t stick to sides.  It’s a very soft dough, but at first it was very sticky with only 6 1/2 c. flour. Can knead by hand.
Put in sprayed glass bowl in oven set to “proof” for 1 hour.
Remove and roll out to  about 1/4”? on well floured surface.  
Cut with doughnut cutter, but make sure doughnut holes are separated from doughnuts for rising and other dough is not touching individual doughnuts.  I just left them sit on the counter to rise (apx. 1 hour) (if not separated, they will get stuck together and are hard to pull apart)
Fry in oil on top of stove. (recipe says 360 degrees) Do smallish batches and watch temperature (I set stove to medium/high to heat oil, but seemed too high for first batches.  medium low seems better)

No comments:

Post a Comment