My Family

My Family
Summer 2015

Sunday, July 24, 2011

God's Imagination

Last week our church had a guest speaker from Willow Creek in Chicago.  You can view it here;

http://www.passioncitychurch.com/watch/#20110717

But, I took several things from this sermon because sometimes my heart just wants to explode with ideas about what the Lord can do.  Sometimes I feel like I've missed the mark and haven't done "all" He may have for me to do.  The thought of "selling it all" and living a simple life sometimes is so appealing.  Going on the adventure of "missions" is just so exciting to me.  I know it's not all glamor and glory, but exciting in so many ways.
Right now we are at a crossroads financially and I wonder if we are keeping our eyes where they need to be. Are we trying to "live the American Dream?" or are we really open to "Whatever the Lord may have for us?"

Adoption has been an area that has opened my eyes and my heart in so many ways.  I believe it is one of the callings we have been obedient to.  But, is there more?

The teacher we had on Sunday asked this question:

"What do you believe God wants to do in and through you?"
Are you using your imagination?  Are you letting God's imagination go wild with you?

He reminded us of these verses:

1 Corinthians 2:9-10

New International Version (NIV)
9 However, as it is written:
   “What no eye has seen,
   what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”[a]
   the things God has prepared for those who love him—
 10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.
   The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

A long time ago (June of 2007 to be exact) a friend back in Wisconsin, Jennifer Janes, shared this verse with me regarding our adoption--At that time we were "in line" for an infant, a girl, "healthy", and were told about a year from beginning to end.


She shared what God had given to her to share with us:
before we knew it would take 5 years, 
before we knew we'd switch to special needs,
before we knew we would be bringing home a boy,
before we knew we'd be bringing home a 7 year old.  


"Who knew?"
God did!  His imagination was beyond what we could ask or think in 2006.  


The verses she shared with me were actually from the original text in Isaiah 64:4:
"Since ancient times not one has heard no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who WAIT for Him"


and she also shared this from Habakuk 1:5:
"Look at the nations and watch-and be utterly amazed.   For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told."

I guess my reason for posting this is to ask myself, and maybe you if you are still reading...
Do I limit myself and my imagination of what God can and will do?  
Am I caught in what we call the "American Dream"? 
I think a lot of people are hurting on so many levels--one of them being financially--that we get fixated on paying the mortgage, putting food on the table, getting all our kids through college, that we forget to pause and ask God what His imagination has for us to do.

Look around and see what God has created in this universe.  His imagination is far beyond words.  The question is---will we humbly submit ourselves to His imagination?



PS I'm planning on picking up the book mentioned in the sermon above:
Colossians Remix    if you've heard of it or enjoyed it or have comments about it, I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment